Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dodged a bullet

Hey, did you hear about this crazy flu thing going on in Mexico City?

There's an article on it at this site. From what I gather, there's a new strain of flu called swine flu that's making a lot of people sick in Mexico City, and the WHO (World Health Organization) thinks it may be spreading further than that. There are a few other suspected cases of it in Texas and California. But it's biggest now in Mexico City, where over 1,000 people supposedly have it, and no one anywhere has a vaccine at this point. 

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but I'm feeling particularly blessed at this point. A month ago, I was scheduled to fly into Mexico City this morning. An unexpected turn of events and a wedding to plan kept me in Idaho, and now the tour I was going on is "postponed." I'm glad I got someone to replace me and got my money back when I did — it's shaping up to be a big mess.

So, instead of getting too upset, I'm feeling lucky. I'm a little more thankful to be healthy, to live in a clean, small city, and to be with the people I love. 

You're in my prayers, Mexico City.

2 comments:

Lori Jane said...

Wow Bre! My dad was just talking about this a few minutes ago. I had completely forgotten about that trip.

Rowbury Adventures said...

Hey I just randomly found your blog, but congrats on getting married! that's super exciting.. i hope things are going great!