Thursday, May 8, 2008

Breaking the ice? Well, apparently, it was already broken.

Jenny and I saw this really hot guy at Subway in Kaysville. I did the quick neckline/ring finger check (I mastered it at BYU-Idaho) and saw within seconds that he was, indeed, an unmarried returned missionary. Jackpot.

We both started talking to this guy in a feeble attempt to get him to notice me in the approximate minute and a half that it took to order a sandwhich. I was holding Molly, not Sadie, in hopes that he would realize the child WASN'T mine.

"What's that?" Molly asked, pointing to a mystery meat. I saw that opportunity and jumped on it.

"I don't know, Molly, let's ask," I said, and turned to the gorgeousness himself. "She wants to know what meat that is."

"It's salami," he said, and I nodded as though it interested me. Molly kept asking questions.

"What's that?" This time she pointed at something that, to me, looked like some sort of cooked black bean. It was black and liquidy and had little bits of something in it. I'm a big fan of black beans, but even I couldn't imagine someone wanting them on a sandwhich. I was curious about that one.

"And what's that?" I asked again, pointing and smiling what I hoped was a wry smile.

"That's ... water," he said, not looking up.

I think I might have said "Oh," but if I did it was barely audible. Had I seriously just failed to correctly identify water in a black container? I tried to say something like, "Of course it is!" or "Yes, Molly, I was right, it really IS water. You should have believed me" but, unfortunately, I'm not that quick on my feet. I just kind of stared at it, perplexed, while Jenn tried to cover for me.

"What's ... it ... for?" she asked, stifling a laugh while I still just looked horrified.

"To wash the tuna off the scoop."

Now we know. And I think I can honestly say that's the first time someone has been uninterested in me because I wasn't smart enough.

1 comment:

Jenn J. said...

"Oh, and what's that?"

"Turkey."

"Oh, wow,you are SOOO smart." [insert girlish giggle] "Turkey to put on the sandwiches?! Clever, very clever."