Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Favorite Boy

I'm kind of a Daddy's girl.

That much, I've known for quite some time. But it's my dear old dad's birthday this Saturday, and I realized the other day just how much he's taught me.

A couple days ago, I was putting oil in my car and a boy from my apartment complex came running over.

"Do you need some help?"

I slammed the hood shut. I'd just finished.

"No, thanks. Just putting some oil in."

"Oh. And — you don't, like, need help?" He didn't seem to know what to do with himself.

"No, it's cool. I just got done."

"Oh," he said, and left, finally convinced I really was OK.

I couldn't help but laugh as I walked to my apartment. My dad taught me how to check my oil — and what to do when it was low. Hadn't everyone's dad done that? Then I realized ... probably not.

I thought of other valuable things my dad has taught me. He showed me how to cook fried eggs (over-easy, of course). He taught me to appreciate fine cheese. He explained to me the beauty of Les Miserables and helped me understand Shakespeare. I learned from Dad that it's OK to not be a Republican and that funny movies are meant to be memorized for quoting later. He taught me the value of a simple, declarative sentence. He teaches me to learn from every experience when he asks, "So, what did you learn?" when I call and tell him a heartbreaking story.


(Me and Dad being "scared" of the Tower of Terror at California Adventure)

I took my groceries into my apartment and unloaded my lowfat yogurt, extra lean hamburger and orange juice. I realized that Dad had taught me to take care of myself. He was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was nine, so we traded all of our cookies for cheese (fine cheese, like I said) and our Coca-Cola for Diet. I used to joke that my parents were starving me to death with all the low-calorie foods, but when I see piles of junk food in my roommates' cupboards, I'm grateful.



Mostly, though, my dad taught me the value of people. I grew up watching my dad teach — first students my siblings' ages, then my own — and he genuinely cares about people. I love it when my friends tell me they think he's a great teacher. I love it when I overhear people at BYU-Idaho talking about their "favorite professor" and figure out it's him. Dad loves people.

I'm OK with being a Daddy's girl.
Happy birthday, Dad.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Bre! I don't know how but I found your blog. This is the sweetest thing ever. Sounds like you really have one awesome dad. You really are a talented writer.

Jade said...

This post made my day. Your dad is absolutely my hero, and among the top three people to influence my life for good. I'm glad you realize how blessed you are, and I'm so glad he has such a wonderful daughter to play the role of daddy's little girl.

shaneshaneshane said...

Very sweet, Bre. Your dad is cool. One time he gave me advice on what to do with my life!

Tara said...

I completely agree that you have an awesome dad. Thanks for sharing him with all of us Scrollies! I can't even count the ways he influenced my life positively while I was at Ricks!

Jacob Divett said...

Your dad gave me life advice once too! The world needs more dads like him.

Also, I love the picture of him and eleven-year-old Bre at the Washington Monument.

Jared said...

It's true. We all love your dad. Even though I haven't had him as an in-the-class professor, he definitely helped me figure my summer practicum out. He was a big help and is a great man. did you know his office is where President Henry B. Eyring's used to be?

Happy Birthday Bro. B!

Jenn J. said...

I'll fight you for the title, Bre! We really do have the best dad ever. Hands down, no doubt about it. I agree with everything you said and more. It also made me want some of dad's cheese.

Happy Birthday, dad! I love you too you know! :)

Beck n' Ben said...

Wow, I can't believe I missed this post when you first posted it. Not that you will see my post now ... but this is a fantastic post. I heart it a million times. And bre? Your dad was one of my favorite professors - and ben's too.

Beck n' Ben said...

And after reading my comment, I have to say the word "post" again. I mean seriously folks, how many times can a person use one word in two sentences??? The answer? Four.