Tuesday, December 2, 2008

English 318 and skydiving finally have something in common

I registered for winter semester classes a few weeks ago. I was busy the evening before looking at my Grad Plan and what classes were offered and who taught them, and when, and how long it would take me to walk to class from my new apartment. I was basically stressing out over life. Have you heard of The Color Code? I'm pretty much true blue, and I go into checklist-addiction relapse when registration time comes around.

By the time I finished, there was nothing left of my Grad Plan. Choosing classes for the MesoAmerica tour, adding web design courses to my emphasis and otherwise adapting to changing circumstances turned my schedule into a strange mix of the classes that actually turned out much better than I had planned.

I guess life is kind of that way. Graduation won't be the last thing I accomplish despite my best efforts. I made a list when I was 12 describing my future husband, and as much as I wanted a tall, movie-quoting guitarist at the time, my priorities have changed. I made another list when I was 14 of things I want to do before I die, but somewhere along the way I've lost my enthusiasm for skydiving and added things like "write a novel" and "get a Master's degree."

As far as I can tell, change is paradoxically constant. I think Steve Carell said it best at the end of one of my favorite movies, Dan in Real Life:

"Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised."

2 comments:

Summer said...

Hey Breanna! Its summer Busby, I found your blog through nats, haha. It sounds like you are doing so great! Your blog is super cute! are you doing the MesoAmerica tour? I'm happy for you, I heard it is awesome!

Jacob Divett said...

I love Dan In Real Life, and I love that quote. Oh yeah, and I love your blog. More than fruit snacks, which equals a lot of freaking love.