Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I thought the Rocky Mountains were a little rockier than that

I know people are always complaining about the BCS (that's "Bowl Championship Series," for those of you who don't have ESPN on in your house more often than the heater), but what it should be understood that what I'm about to say is not a complaint.

It's an honest, flabbergasted question for anyone who can explain.

But first, a little bit of background. I remembered this morning that Boise State University played Texas Christian University in the Fiesta Bowl last night. I've been around enough sports fans to know that that was a big game "because there's a Mountain West team playing." I also know that Ryan and I cheer for Mountain West teams when they play in a bowl game (even if it's the Utes, if they're not playing BYU ... don't tell).

So I asked Ryan if BSU won like we hoped they would.














And he told me that THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST CONFERENCE.

I know the BCS does things in weird ways, but in all the planning and deciding what teams belong to which conference, did no one interject, "Wait a minute. Texas doesn't have any mountains!"?

I think our school systems need a bigger emphasis on geography.

4 comments:

Jade said...

Before the University of Idaho was in the WAC(which is what BSU is in right now) it was in the Sunbelt Conference. Riddle me that one.

I mean, I get how it works. But couldn't they come up with more generic names? Like the Jocks Conference, the Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell-About-Steriods-Use Division, the Spandex Shorts League?

Katie said...

I have no idea the answer to your question, but I do think it is too FUNNY. It's so true. They are not very geographical. I've wondered the same thing about the divisions in the NBA (the sport my husband is a die hard fan and thus I have become one). From what the men at work say (mostly Ute fans) the BCS is basically messed up any way. Hope you find an answer. :)

Jenn J. said...

Maybe they could rename it, the slightly hilly west conference.

Kenblog said...

Yah, and I've always thought the "Big10" and "Big 12" was just flat-out braggin'...