Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Secret

What's the best part of SRC elections week? Color-coded, Times New Roman-ed "campaign badges" that look like name tags? Being assaulted in the Manwaring Center? Poorly Photoshopped campaign posters?


None of the above.  Answer: Awkward moments

I thought I had the best idea ever: vote early, and you are home free through the whole week. That way, you have an infallible excuse to rush past all the fliers pushed at you. Platform-pushing campaigners can't argue with "I already voted!"
It's not fool-proof, though. I tried it on Monday, and instead of out-smarting all the lobbyists, I just found myself in a really, really awkward situation.

CAMPAIGNER GUY TO UNSUSPECTING FRESHMEN GIRLS: Hey! Did you vote already?
GIRLS: No. Are you running?
ME: (laughing at their naivity.)
CAMPAINGER GUY TO ME A COUPLE SECONDS LATER: Hey! Did you vote yet?
ME: (feeling pretty smart) Yep! Sorry.
CAMPAIGNER: Did you vote for Marc?

I don't even know Marc. And I don't know this guy, either. But you can't just say "No," because that's rude. In my search for words, I inadvertently managed to say something even ruder.

ME: I ... don't ... think I know you.
CAMPAIGNER: All right ... see ya later.

And of course I've seen him twice. It must be a law of the universe that the people who witness your most embarrassing moments haunt you. At least till campaign week is over.

Happy voting!

1 comment:

jes may said...

Ha ha ha! Thank you for posting this blog entry. When I ran for SBP, I didn't even campaign in the MC (or any of those crazy over populated spots because I avoided them as much as possible every other semester during election week!)And, the picture you posted was from the election I ran in! I hope mine didn't look awful. We tried to make it actually look somewhat cool. :0

Sorry to hear about all the awkward moments. :)